What to Know About Second-Story Additions
Are you interested in learning more about the possibility of building a second-story addition? Below, we break down everything you need to know when it comes to the design and building process of a second-floor addition, from the type of remodeling you can choose from to the many factors that go into completing a project successfully.
Options for a Second-Floor Addition
When considering a second-floor addition to your home, there are a few different ways to approach the project, including the following:
Building From Scratch
One way to add a second-story addition is by creating an entirely new upper level from scratch. This process requires builders to remove the existing roof and add a second floor over the home’s first story. Builders can also achieve this by removing the existing roof and reattaching it after installing the framing for a new level.
Expanding on an Existing Floor
Some homes have existing upper levels that do not span across the entirety of the first floor. If your home has a garage or living space with a flat roof, you may be able to easily expand your existing second floor across this space and build an addition this way.
Adding a Modular Addition
Another option for adding a second story to your home is a modular addition. Modular additions are constructed off-site and installed on top of an existing first floor.
Factors to Consider Before a Building a Second-Story Addition
Before getting started on your remodeling project, consider the following factors:
- Budget: Assess your budget and the potential costs of your project. From the actual construction process to installing electricity and plumbing, there are various costs to consider.
- Partial or full remodel: Consider whether you want to add an entire upper level over the entirety of your first floor or you want to complete a partial remodel.
- Timeline: Before diving into your second-story addition project, be sure to coordinate your timeline in case you and your family will need to move out of your home during the construction process.
- Stairs: When adding a second floor, especially if your home does not have an existing upper level, you must consider your need for a staircase to access this new space and how you want to incorporate the stairs into the first floor.
- Codes and permits: Obtaining the right codes and permits for your second-story addition is essential for completing your remodel project legally. Be sure to contact your local municipalities to avoid fines.
- HVAC system: When building a second-story addition, it is important to consider the need for extending your heating, cooling and ventilation (HVAC) system to this space.
- Plumbing and electricity: If you are thinking about incorporating a bathroom or kitchen into your new upper-level addition, factor in your plumbing needs and the associated costs. A new floor will also require electrical wiring and outlets.
- Foundation: Another essential consideration for your second story addition is the stability of your home’s current foundation. You must have the right support to safely add a new level to your house.
Why Consider a Second-Story Addition?
A new second-story addition to your home can have many benefits, including:
- Maximizing the use of your space: One of the advantages of a second-floor addition is making the most of your current space by building upward. You could double your home’s square footage without compromising your outdoor space.
- Addressing first-floor redesigns: Another benefit of remodeling your second floor is tackling multiple projects at one time and addressing any first-story redesigns you’ve been dreaming about. You can upgrade your first floor during the construction process for your upper-level addition.
- Boosting your home’s value: A new addition to your house could potentially increase your home’s value. The average return on investment for a two-story addition is about 83%. If you are considering selling your home in the future, this could financially benefit you.
- Staying in the same home: As you spend years in your home, you may find yourself needing more space. Adding a second story is a great way to find a solution for this without having to move your family into a new home. You can stay in the same neighborhood and enjoy the comfort of your current home for longer.
- Making additional income: You could make supplemental income by renting out your newly remodeled space.
A second-story addition can be very beneficial for homeowners, and there are plenty of reasons to consider adding this new space to your home.
How to Build a Second Story on an Existing House
Are you wondering about the process of how to build a second floor? Here’s an overview of the general steps involved:
Once you find a trusted design-build firm you are interested in working with for your second-floor addition project, it is important to meet with them for an initial consultation.
During this meeting, the builder will take measurements and consider the best way to approach your project. You can ask all your questions and receive an estimate for the addition.
2. Planning and Design
The next step in the process is collaborating with the following people to create a design you are excited about:
- Project managers
As the team completes your construction plans, you can work with your budget and make sure the project will deliver exactly what you want for your home.
With all the necessary contracts and permits gathered, the next step is to begin the construction of your second-story addition. During this process, you may have to move out of your home while the building project is completed.
You can consult with the project manager during the construction phase for updates and important information about your home.
4. Finishing Touches
As the construction on your second-floor addition is wrapping up, you can ensure it meets all your requirements and you are happy with the project by completing a walk-through. Once everything is ready, you can begin enjoying your newly remodeled space.
Learn More About Second-Story Additions
Ideal Construction & Remodeling is a premier, full-service design-build firm that can help you through your home addition project. We are happy to walk you through every step of the process and ensure we build you get the second-story addition of your dreams.
Are you looking for construction or remodeling services in Northern Virginia, suburban Maryland or Washington, D.C.? Contact us for a free in-home consultation today!